Sunday, November 7, 2010

You can't measure your achievements by someone else's yardstick!

You can't measure your achievements by someone else’s yardstick!

So I read this today and it hit me that I have been known to do just that. Measure myself against others. I realize that there is probably no one else out there who does this. ;o) However, this blog is called "The Real Me" so I thought I would be transparent about this topic today.

God has truly blessed my life beyond measure. He has opened doors that I never thought I could walk through. I have seen and experienced miracles that have changed my life. I know where he has brought me from (hmmmm, that's a whole new post) I have seen the hard knocked life and I have seen how God can take what satan meant for evil and make it into something beautiful. Yet, instead of looking to Him (God) to measure my achievements I still look around at others. Sometimes I look at my self and have to say "Really Sondra? Are you serious? why are you comparing yourself to others. People who don't even KNOW you? Don't know where you have been or what you have come through!"

Psalms 139

1You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. 2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar. 3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways. 4 Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely. 5 You hem me in behind and before, and you lay your hand upon me. 6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain. 7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? 8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there. 9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, 10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast. 11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,” 12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you. 13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.


WoW! I know right! God's words are powerful and TRUE! So, why would I compare myself to anyone else? When God know me so well? My Daddy God knows me inside and out he knows my faults and failures. He knows where I am physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. He knows my inner most thoughts. My darkest secrets, my hidden pain, my joyous occasions, my toughest trials. HE (GOD) KNOWS THE REAL ME! So, why do I try and measure myself against others? Good question... I guess it's because I am human. Thank goodness God knows that about me too! :o)


I think to myself, I wish I was as good of a mom as so and so. Or, I wish I read my Bible like so and so. Wish, I could loose weight like so and so. Wish, I wish, I wish, I wish......


So, now I have to learn to stop wishing I was like someone else and start being what God says that I am. How do I do that? I am not totally sure but one step I am taking is that when i start to have these thoughts I will stop and begin to think on the things that God says I am...


I am a child of God.

But to all who have received him--those who believe in his name--he has given the right to become God's children … (John 1:12).

I am a friend of Jesus.

I no longer call you slaves, because the slave does not understand what his master is doing. But I have called you friends, because I have revealed to you everything I heard from my Father (John 15:15).

As a child of God, I am a fellow heir with Christ.

And if children, then heirs (namely, heirs of God and also fellow heirs with Christ)--if indeed we suffer with him so we may also be glorified with him (Romans 8:17).

I have been accepted by Christ.

Receive one another, then, just as Christ also received you, to God's glory (Romans 15:7).

I am a new creature in Christ.

So then, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; what is old has passed away--look, what is new has come (2 Corinthians 5:17)!

I am FREE!

For freedom Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not be subject again to the yoke of slavery (Galatians 5:1).

I am redeemed and forgiven by the grace of Christ.

In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace (Ephesians 1:7).

I have been predestined by God to obtain an inheritance.

In Christ we too have been claimed as God's own possession, since we were predestined according to the one purpose of him who accomplishes all things according to the counsel of his will (Ephesians 1:11).

I am God’s workmanship created to produce good works.

For we are his workmanship, having been created in Christ Jesus for good works that God prepared beforehand so we may do them (Ephesians 2:10).

I have boldness and confident access to God through faith in Christ.

… In whom we have boldness and confident access to God because of Christ's faithfulness (Ephesians 3:12).

My new self is righteous and holy.

… Put on the new man who has been created in God's image--in righteousness and holiness that comes from truth (Ephesians 4:24).

The peace of God guards my heart and mind.

And the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:7).

I CAN DO ALL THINGS THROUGH CHRIST WHO STRENGTHENS ME! Philippians 4:13


So from today I will strive to measure myself against what God's word says and who God says I can be! Will strive to do the same?

Colossians 3:23 "23 Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters, 24 since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving."

No comments:

Post a Comment